Helping The Community
Ayudando a la Comunidad

Finding Answers To Your Questions Regarding Immigration

U.S. immigration law is complicated, to say the least. Even the most basic immigration matter can involve many rules and forms. If you have questions about immigration law, you are not alone. At Albizu Law, we receive immigration questions on a regular basis. Frequently asked questions include:

Do I have to leave the U.S. to get a green card?

An immigrant residing in the U.S. does not necessarily have to leave to apply for a green card. Instead, you apply for an adjustment of status. Your eligibility depends on your immigrant category, which may include family, employment or refugee status, among others.

I am a permanent U.S. resident. Whom can I sponsor for a family visa?

You may petition to bring immediate family members to the U.S. In order of preference, these include:

  • Your spouse
  • Your unmarried child under the age of 21
  • Your unmarried child over the age of 21

U.S. citizens may also bring over married children of any age, parents and siblings, as well as applying for a fiancé visa.

Can my boss help me obtain a work visa?

Yes. In most cases, the employer must first file for a labor certification approval. The next step is for your employer to file a petition for a work visa. There are multiple categories for different types of employees, and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) limits the number of work visas issued each year.

Who needs a work permit?

Immigrants here on a temporary visa status need a work permit, also called an employment authorization document (EAD), in order to work in the U.S. This includes people hoping for an adjustment of status, such as asylees or fiancé visa holders. If you are a permanent U.S. resident with a green card, you do not need a separate work permit. Your green card is your proof of your eligibility to work in the U.S.

What can I do if I want to leave an abusive marriage, but I’m afraid of losing my legal residency?

The law protects noncitizen immigrants who are suffering from domestic violence. Our office can help you find options to help you get out of your violent situation while offering you solutions for residency, such as U visas or protection under the Violence Against Women Act.

Bring Your Questions To Us

Our trusted and knowledgeable immigration lawyers have the answers you need. Schedule an appointment by contacting our Austin office either by phone at 512-861-5638 or by email using our online form. We offer bilingual services in English and Spanish. Attorney Iris Albizu is a native Spanish speaker, having been born and raised in Puerto Rico. Hablamos español.