Helping The Community
Ayudando a la Comunidad


What Is A U-Visa?

This Visa that can give you the possibility of legally stay or enter to the United States for a period of 4 years, if you meet the requirements. This visa is temporary, but it can give you the possibility of obtaining a green card. It also has can allow you to “waive” some situations that usually make you inadmissible to the United States.

To qualify for a U-Visa, you must:

  • Be a victim of a qualified crime
  • Have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of criminal activity
  • Possess information concerning the criminal activity
  • Have been helpful, or are being helpful, or are likely to be helpful to a federal, state or local law enforcement official with the investigation or prosecution of the crime.

There is a list of crimes that qualifies for a U-Visa Petition; some of these are domestic violence, sexual abuse, criminal assault, torture, murder, etc.

The victim must be a person who has suffered direct and proximate harm as the result of the commission of one of the criminal acts. It could also be an “indirect victim” such as family members.

If approved, the U-Visa can give you and certain family members permission to stay in the United States as a nonimmigrant for a period of 4 years, in some cases, it could have the possibility of staying permanently in the United States.

I have handled U-Visa cases, contact me for an evaluation of your case and know if you meet the requirements for this visa.